In 1946 when Highland Supply was established, America was welcoming home World War II veterans. With the ensuing housing boom, oil replaced coal as a popular home heating method. Not long after, we fabricated our first fuel storage tanks from steel forged at the mighty mills located not far from our first plant in Pennsylvania’s Laurel Highlands.
Initially, Highland Tank produced 275-gallon oval tanks for residential basements. Coincidental to the growth of the home heating oil market, our country experienced an explosive growth in automobile use and the need for fuel storage at service stations. As demand for motor fuel increased, our product line grew to include larger, underground models for gas station use. Soon tank building became a daily occurrence.